Social media isn’t just for kids anymore. Nowadays, you need social media to survive in the business world. Whether you love it or hate it, there are smart ways to use social media to your advantage—especially when it comes to advertising. Here are a few things you need to know.
Pick Your Platforms
Before you do anything, you need to decide what platform you’re going to advertise on. While we’re all for equality in the workplace and when splitting the last slice of cheesecake, we will say that in the world of social media, not all platforms are created equal. To find the best channel, consider each platform’s demographics and how consumers interact with it. For this article, we’ll focus on the following three platforms:
- Average Age: high use with millennials (ages 18-32)
- Interests: Photography
- Primary Use: Sharing photos, following celebs and inspirational figures
- Fun Facts: 400 million active users, 60 percent of users check their Instagram at least once a day
- Advertising Pros: Easy to reach a niche audience
- Average Age: 25-34
- Interests: videos, articles, life updates
- Primary Use: connect with friends and family, stay up-to-date on news and interesting info
- Fun Facts: 300 million photo uploads per day, average time spent on Facebook is 20 min
- Advertising Pros: Easy to reach a niche audience, many ad placement options
- Gender: 85 percent female!
- Interests: DIY projects, recipes, outfit ideas, looking at all things pretty
- Primary Use: visualizing and collecting inspiration
- Fun Facts: average number of searches per month is 2 billion
- Advertising Pros: Ability to sell products on the platform, great click-through-rates
Creating your promotion
After you decide what you’re promoting, you need to figure out where to promote it! There are tons of different ways to promote your ad. Here are some of our favorites:
Not too long ago, Instagram rolled out with sponsored ads. While we as users may be annoyed seeing an ad while scrolling through our friends’ posts, having an Instagram ad does promise you will be seen. It’s impossible to swipe away or exit out of an ad on Instagram, meaning the only way you can ‘dismiss’ the ad is to actually scroll past it. Because of this, users are 2.5 times more likely to click on Instagram ads rather than any other social platform.
The facts and how to get started
Create a Facebook Page for the brand you want to promote:
Click “Create Ads”:
Choose Your Campaign’s Marketing Objective:
- Create Your Campaign
- Choose your audience
- Be sure to indicate “Instagram” under “Placement”
- Set your budget & choose when you want the ad to run
- Choose your content type: photo, video, or carousel (photo slider)
- Tip: Use a clean, high-quality, eye-catching image (try our Stock That Rocks photography!)
- Write a compelling caption
- Choose a Call To Action
- Place the Order for your campaign!
Facebook is the most used app in terms of engagement. With the new ‘liking’ options and increased sharing of interesting videos and articles, users are more inclined to explore and engage on Facebook, making it a prime advertisement platform. Facebook has a whirlwind of campaign options for you to choose from. All it takes is a little research on which option will do best for your campaign. After that, choose your settings and see your growth!
- Types of Campaigns
- Boost your posts
- Promote your page
- Send people to your website
- Increase conversions on your site
- Reach people near your business
- And so much more!
One of the best aspects about Pinterest is that your content has increased longevity. While other social media channels are usually chronologically presented, Pinterest presents information based on popularity and relativity, allowing your Promoted Pins to squeeze out every ounce of exposure. Promoted Pins are created just like regular pins, however, you pick which ones you want to pay to boost. Once you decide if you want your campaign to increase awareness, engagement, or traffic, create your pin and choose your settings (audience, budget…etc). Keep in mind that Pinterest has a lengthy list of specific do’s and don’ts for Promoted Pins. Read up on the rules before spending too much time creating your pin only to have it rejected.
- Make sure your Pinterest is registered as a Business Account
- Click Ads in the upper left corner:
- Choose your focus
- Generate brand awareness
- Boost engagement
- Drive traffic to your site
- Click “Create Campaign” in the upper right-hand corner:
- Choose an existing campaign, or start from scratch
- Set your schedule and budget
- Choose which pin you’d like to promote
- Choose your target audience
- Choose your max bid
- Click “Promote”!
Commit to a few social media campaigns on different platforms and see which one works best for you. There are so many resources out there that can educate you on the ins and outs of social media advertising—take the time to learn it and see how it helps your business grow!
Bloguettes provides comprehensive training and tools for elevating your digital presence in the entrepreneurial age. Through hands-on workshops, webinars, stock photography, downloads, and other online resources, Bloguettes helps creatives in all industries to kill it online!